7:03 PM 9/11/2012
Open meeting with introduction, pledge, and moment of silence.
7:07 PM 9/11/2012
Executive Reports - President
- Held executive meeting (Metacon Plaque Presentation, Hunting and Fishing show, New Britain, Events Coordinator
- Attended NB Law and Finance. Testified on ordinance in committee. Ordinance to be voted on by full council Sept. 13th.
- Attended CCDL picnic.
- Radio interview on 94.9 FM twice. Will be taking radio host and his son to a shooting range.
7:10 PM 9/11/2012
VP not in attendance
7:10 PM 9/11/2012
Executive Reports - Secretary
- Nothing to report.
7:11 PM 9/11/2012
- $1854 - Donations and merchandise sales
- $792 - Expenses
- Picnic was a money maker this year, which it normally isn't.
7:13 PM 9/11/2012
- Had great time at picnic with family.
- 10 new members signed up AT the picnic.
- 66 total new this month
- Total Membership: 2381
7:15 PM 9/11/2012
Events - not in attendance
Tech - not in attendance
PR - not in attendance
7:16 PM 9/11/2012
- Sending out merchandise
- Received order of shirts
7:18 PM 9/11/2012
Newtown Gun Discharge ordinance
- The police commission (body of non police officers overseeing safety issues) made a proposal to the town council which would prohibit shooting on private property within the town not approved by the police chief.
- Board asked for details on how many and their nature.
- Police commission took an ordinance from the town of Wilton and made some modifications to it and presented it to the board.
- If this even gets passed, it's still months away.
- This is currently not at a point where a public hearing is being held, but if it makes it far enough, there WILL be a public hearing.
- The board has a monthly meeting, that's NOT a public hearing, where anyone can make public comments.
- If you decide to comment on this ordinance, be respectful.
- We are far from an ordinance being voted on.
- There is no state law prohibiting target shooting on private property. There is an 'unlawful discharge for a firearm' can probably be used to arrest someone being reckless in shooting a firearm.
- The Newtown gun club is working against the proposed ordinance.
7:41 PM 9/11/2012
- Legislators are already looking at new gun control legislation.
- Expect to see ammo purchases restrictions, concealed carry mandate, among others.
- YOu need to be prepared before the session opens.
- Find out who your legislators are after the election. Let them know how you are. Make frieds with them.
- Get well versed on as many gun issues as you can. Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry, Permit Process, etc.
- You have a lot of power to make a difference. Donate to campaigns, comminucate with legislators, volunteer your time.
8:02 PM 9/11/2012
- Probably a shortened training session on how to give testimony at the legislature at Dec. general meeting.
- Additional 'full' trainning sessions may be held at locations around the state.
8:03 PM 9/11/2012
- November is crutial. Connecticut is in play at presidential and local levels.
- Elections can be made or broken by a few votes.
- Important to pay attention to the raced.
- CCDL will post endorsements on the website soon.
- Volunteer your time, donate to candidates, make sure your friends are registered to vote. Offer rides to polling places for elderly friends or get absentee ballots.
- If you don't have candidates in your district that you can support, you can donate to candidates in other districts.
8:10 PM 9/11/2012
Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, and other topics.
- Hearing is this Thursday @ 12 in the DPS Headquarters.
- A few denials, mostly revocations. Revocations tend to take longer because these people had their permits taken from them.
- Watching hearings is a good way to learn about the process.
- Malloy doesn't like the fact that a gun organization gets to pick a person on the board and is blocking the appointment.
- If you want up to date info on anything gun related in CT, check out Facebook. Discussions generally give really good insights to these topics.
- The media keeps giving wrong information.
- Rather than posting news stories to your Facebook page, share it from our page so people are directed to these conversations.
- When you see a news story with incorrect or misleading information, post a polite comment correcting it.
8:25 PM 9/11/2012
Other things we're working on
- Candidate survey - working on revising it and will vote on it in committee soon.
- Education committee - generated lots of internal discussion with the member survey. We'll work with Eric offline on it.
- Picnic - Lots of fun, but not wheelchair accessible.
8:36 PM 9/11/2012
Close of meeting